Monday, August 4, 2014

More Energy = More Playtime

So it's only been 6 days and I am already feeling quite a difference! For example, today I went outside on the front lawn and played pre-K-style baseball for as long as it took my girls to get tired out. Before it used to be me who had to stop games early so that I could have a break! I've lost count long ago how many times I've said the phrase "Not right now. Mommy's tired." It breaks my heart every time I say those words. I'm am mom in my 20s and I had less energy and stamina than most grandparents. I don't ever want to miss out on opportunities to play with my girls, to go outside exploring, to try new sports, or to teach my girls how much their bodies are capable of. This challenge that I'm doing is not only for me, but for my family!

Today, I just feel awesome :)

I tried out a new recipe for hummus today. It is so darn delicious! I made a big batch of it for lunch. Right now only June and I are hummus fans, while Tanner, Gwen and Lily are on the fence. But I have no problem with that, because that means there's more hummus for ME! (and June, too)

This recipe comes from here. It is so very simple, and so very yum! I ate a lot of it at for lunch with a plate of veggies.


HUMMUS

  • 2 cups of chickpeas (about 1 can)
  • 1 garlic cloves
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1/4 cup tahini
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
  • 1/4 water
  • 1/4 tsp lemon pepper
  • sprinkle of crushed red pepper, optional 
  • salt, to taste
The directions for this is pretty simple. Put it all into a food processor or blender and pulse away until it is smooth! It takes a little bit of time and scraping with a spoon to get those chickpeas blended, so don't go adding extra liquid too soon or else your hummus won't be as thick. And don't be afraid to add more seasonings to your taste (I, myself, tripled the garlic because I can't get enough of it!)

Hope you enjoy this hummus as much as June and I!

Next, I wanted to share TODAY'S WORKOUT:

As fast as you can, do TWO rounds of
- 400 meter run
- 20 walking lunges (10 for each leg)
- 20 alternating bicep curls (20 for each arm)
- 20 toe tap downs
- 20 overhead tricep press
- 20 side lateral raises
- 20 sit-up
- 20 jumping jacks

I don't have any weights yet in my house, so for the bicep curls and tricep press, I just used the heaviest cans I could find in the pantry. Whatever works right!? My arms were too weak to use weights for the side lateral raises, so I just used my own body's resistance. I just had to make sure that I really did the entire exercise AS FAST AS I COULD in order to keep my heart rate up. 

TOMORROW, I am going out to dinner with all my sisters and I'm nervous about eating out and having all these delicious, but high calorie food options. I'm planning ahead, though, and am going to check out the menu tonight so that the choice is made before I even sit down. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment