Wednesday, August 27, 2014

A Mile a Day Challenge


My health coach, Malorie, challenged me to run a mile every day (1.6km). I'm NOT a runner, so I wasn't too excited about the challenge. (I'm just trying to be honest here. Sorry Mal!) Since I'm not a very fast runner, my first goal is to work myself up to running a mile in under 10 minutes. 

With my daily workouts, I run no longer than 400 meters at a time. I'll run, maybe, 1600 meters (a mile) in an entire workout, but it is always broken up into 400 meter intervals with other exercises mixed in. 

can't even remember the last time I ran a mile STRAIGHT, so I really didn't know AT ALL how far I was from the 10 minute goal. No idea! So, I went out to an outdoor track . . . alone . . . at night, and ran my little heart out. 

Today's time: 11:40!

Not bad, right!? The time might not be totally amazing, but I feel totally amazing for having done it. Now that I know where my starting point is, I am excited to see how I improve over the coming months.

So now, I invite you all to take part in the mile a day challenge with me! I challenge you to start September 1st, or today if you really want to, and run that mile! You are invited to share your times, or not, or whatever! Just keep it positive and just do it!

One mile a day for the entire month of September. I will pushing myself to reach my 10 minute goal, but I encourage you to customize it to your own fitness level. Heck, you may already be running a mile in 8 minutes! So whatever your starting time is, work each day to improve it. 

Giving you all a cyber-high five!
Jenny

1 comment:

  1. I just found your blog randomly and don't know you. I am friends with Elora where your sis in law guests post sometimes. Anyway, I just wanted to say I think you are an inspiration and I love your honesty! Keep up the good work, and i'll take on the mile a day challenge!

    ReplyDelete