Thursday, October 23, 2014

For Me and My Family

A few years ago, only months after Lily was born, I was talking to a friend about health, fitness, and losing weight. I mentioned to her that I would really love to get into shape for my kids (who needed a mom with stamina) and for my husband (for whom I wanted to be an active-attractive wife). My friend didn't respond right away and just looked at me for a moment. Sounding more like an after thought, I quickly added that I wanted to do it for me, too, of course. She paused again and then wisely said "I sure do wish you had said yourself first."

I knew then and there that I was putting myself behind others and my perception was all out of whack. This friend made me realize that guilting myself into shape was never going to work, nor would it be healthy. I should eat healthy, exercise and lose weight for myself, because I LOVE MYSELF. In turn, my family would also be blessed, but as a by-product.


I love that I am gaining the strength and stamina to really play with my children. I can run with them, chase them, carry them, bath them, and feed them; all without feeling totally exhausted. I feel confident (and sexy) around my husband. I am happy more and less stressed out. I'm realizing that being healthy is not just about losing weight; it's about gaining the energy and physical/mental capacity to simply be a person! Realizing this has been so empowering for me; thinking about how much more I will be able to do as I lose this weight.


AS FOR TODAY, I woke up feeling pretty darn sore from yesterday's push-ups, but it's a good sore (if you can imagine it). This afternoon I took my two oldest girls to Bower Ponds where we ran to the playground. I love watching my girls run; I love that they love to run. I love that I can run with them and actually keep up. They may only be 3 and 4, but they are fast! Afterwards we picked up some ice-cream for them as well as some to drop off as a surprise at Tanner's work. I didn't get any ice-cream for myself, but I did collect a small "Mom Tax" on each of their ice cream treats :)

For today's workout, Malorie sent me a routine that focuses on strengthening your core. Because of my back injury last week, Mal thinks that I should focus on these types of core exercises to prevent future injuries. I started out with a 1 mile run and then followed it up with 4 ROUNDS OF:

- 25 full sit-ups
- 25 crunches
- 25 knee raises (demo video here)
- 25 back extensions (demo video here)
- 30 second plank (demo video here)
- 15 second right side plank
- 15 second left side plank

This was a tough workout, but totally doable. I am pretty weak at planks, so when I felt I had to break the plank I would go to my knees for a few seconds and then bring it right back up to full plank. Right now I can only plank for about 20 seconds before I go down to my knees. My goal is to work towards a full minute plank.

Thanks again for following along!

No comments:

Post a Comment