Tuesday, October 21, 2014

You Don't Know What You've Got 'Til It's Gone

I HURT MY BACK LAST WEEK. Sad face. 

It really sucked and it hurt and I felt like the biggest bum of a mom/wife for several days. I felt old and tired and weak. I'll say it again, it sucked. I let my emotions and my pain get the better of me and I drowned myself in cookies and bowls full of ice cream and pie. What can I say? I'm an emotional eater. Should I be allowed to make that my excuse? Probably not, but I did anyway. (But, to be honest, this entire month so far has been a total flop, even without the excuse of a back injury.)

It wasn't until today, when the pain in my back started to subside, that I realized how grateful I am for my body. It is a wonderful thing and I should always make taking good care of it my top priority. I do not want a life of pain that was caused by my unwillingness to live a healthy life. 

In other news, today I am feeling pretty awesome.

I am planning on working out this morning (first one in over a week). But I'll keep it simple and sweet and back friendly. Not sure what that will look like, as I feel like the back is engaged in everything the body does. Maybe I'll just go for a run. Sounds like the safest thing, right now.

ALSO! What would you all say if I was thinking about blogging everyday? This would mean I would go from lengthier/deeper content posts that come once a week (if that), to regular but short updates on what's up in my life; keeping the blog more like a health journal. I feel the later will greatly benefit me. The more accountable I am, the more success I believe I will find. What can I say? I'm selfish. Ha! And no one can underestimate the power of record keeping.

Anyways, that is all I wanted to say :)

End post.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Jenny -
    I too suffer from wicked back problems... I find that Yoga is VERY helpful in strengthening my back, plus it can be a very low impact exercise. More focused on stretch, strength, relaxation & focus.
    You can definitely go to a studio in Red Deer (the Breathing Room has a special class specifically for back strengthening) however, I picked up a video at Walmart for $7, with two different practices on it and it works great!
    Maybe it would be helpful too when you're having those negative feelings/thoughts that you "can't" do anything because of an injury - not only proving to yourself that you CAN but it also releases some of those pent up feelings that are retained in muscles... they have memories too and Yoga is a great way to start breathing through them and releasing them. Don't be surprised if some tears sneak up & out of you, Yoga can have some VERY therapeutic results!

    ReplyDelete